Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine   Official publication of Indian Association of  0ccupational  Health  
 Print this page Email this page   Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 Users Online:1047

  IAOH | Subscription | e-Alerts | Feedback | Login 

Home About us Current Issue Archives Search Instructions
   Next article
   Previous article
   Table of Contents

   Similar in PUBMED
     Search Pubmed for
     Search in Google Scholar for
   Related articles
    Citation Manager
    Access Statistics
    Reader Comments
    Email Alert *
    Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2665    
    Printed169    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded91    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 2    

Recommend this journal

 

 CASE REPORT
Year : 2011  |  Volume : 15  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 137-138

Successful intervention in a child with toxic methemoglobinemia due to nail polish remover poisoning


1 Department of Pediatric, Lady Hardinge Medical College and Kalawati Saran Children's Hospital, New Delhi, India
2 Department of Otolaryngology, N.R.S Medical College, Kolkata, India

Correspondence Address:
Soumya Patra
Senior Resident, Department of Pediatrics, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi - 110 001
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0019-5278.93205

Rights and Permissions

Children are most susceptible to accidental exposure of common household substances and one of the common household substances is nail polish remover. We are presenting a case of accidental ingestion of nail polish remover with lethal methemoglobinemia (serum methemoglobin level-72%). This patient was treated successfully with injection methylene blue. However, even small amounts can be dangerous to children, so it is important to keep this and all household chemicals in a safe place






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article